Monday, November 24, 2008

Tuesday Nov 25- Munich





Well, we're here! The trip seemed long because neither of us could sleep on the plane so by the time we went to bed last night we had been up about 32 hours- oh, well, we're still young! The flights from LA to Dallas and then to Frankfurt were ontime and no glitches. They don't give you the free booze on the international flight anymore which always helped me sleep. The seatback tv screens with about 30 movie options was nice. We watched about 3 movies. Clemente even had the diatetic meal to keep on the low sugar diet we were doing at home (not me- I'm on vacation!)

When we got to Frankfurt airport, when thru passport control, got our luggage quickly and then went to catch our train to Munich in the station next door. It was about 32 degrees and nice dusting of snow. The train was full of businessmen- absolutely silent as they read their newspapers and their binders. We did have to kick a sleeping woman out of our reserved seat. Too bad lady- We paid 10 euros to reserve that train and those seats. She was none too happy. I didn't lose any sleep over it :). The train ride was beautiful looking out over all the small towns with snow- so picturesque.


The first class car is so worth the extra $ too. The only glitch was that we had to switch trains in Stuttgart when we weren't suppose to have to do. They announced in German this but we didn't understand- everyone was getting off but us. One kind man told us what was happening so we grabbed our stuff and followed everyone. This new train was even nicer. There was an older woman sitting next to us who had breakfast delivered and I had to pick up silverware she kept dropping. When she finally shattered a glass on the floor, I wasn't picking it up. She got up and just walked to another seat as if nothing happened. (I told the train attendant :)


The Munich train station is big and has everything needed- walked about 7 blocks to hotel. The receptionists were VERY nice and all spoke perfect English (in fact everyone has so far). Our apartment is small but I'm sure bigger than their standard rooms- has 2 twin beds (extremely comfortable and small kitchen. We had a great quiet nights sleep.


We walked around Marienplatz (main square) last night, went to some stores, watched them build some xmas market stalls, bought a bunch of snacks, drinks, etc from departmnt store foodhall which is amazing. I bought a Liebkuchen cookie that was to die for!! (Janis-I wish I could send you one as it is amazing). We picked up some hot food on the way back to hotel and retired for the evening early to get some sleep.


We're off to a palace today and then the BMW factory tour tonight. I'm uploading some pictures to this but I don't think they'll be placed in the blog where I want them, but I'll learn more how to handle this as the time goes on.



B&C

1 comment:

Jayne said...

Bill and Clement, Have a great and safe trip. I am enjoying reading your blogs!

Love Jayne